The Romanesque Sha’arai Shomayim synagogue stood on the corner of Warren and Government from 1906 to 1952. It was demolished in 1956. The synagogue is now located on Spring Hill Ave.
Land for the cemetery was purchased in 1876 when the Jewish Rest section of Magnolia Cemetery was full. Some of the most thriving oaks in the city can be found inside the iron gates of this secluded and peaceful place of rest.